After a long silence I have finally managed to write - and finish - a little piece of fiction again. This is my entry for the Silent Grey short fiction contest run by Jason Evans over at The Clarity of Night. As instructed, the story below was inspired by this photo, by Jess Taylor, his artistically gifted niece:
* * *
A glass squeaked under her raisin fingertips and she realised she'd been washing it long enough for the dishwater to grow tepid. Reality oozed back in focus, the dirty grey wall across the yard replacing the glittering ocean of her daydream.
A creak behind her warned of Vince's approach and she hurried to finish the dishes. Grunting good morning, he disappeared behind the newspaper.
"Toast's almost ready," she forced a smile as she set his tea down in front of him. The effort was wasted - not even a grunt now.
When only crumbs remained at the table and the slam of the front door told her he was gone, she stared through the window once again. Seventeen years she'd been staring at that wall, although for some time now she had barely seen it, for it had morphed into a canvas on which she painted her fantasies.
Turning from the window she checked her handbag. Savings book, train ticket, passport - all there. Moving into the hall, she pulled a bulging suitcase from the closet, a piece of yesterday's conversation replaying in her head.
"We're looking forward to meeting you too, Susan. Your room is ready and waiting for you. I know it's hard, losing your husband, but I'm sure in time you'll be happy here. The sun always shines and the rest of the staff are so friendly.
Oh, and did I mention your room has a view of the ocean?"

love this- read it over at jason's place! fabulous!
This is very good. I am a daydreamer. One time before I was married I was imagining a conversation in my head with my boyfriend (now my husband) while I was making myself some coffee and it was such a real daydream I even took out a coffee cup for him, only to "wake up" and realise he wasn't there.
love it!!